Due to the importance of healthy soils, Glenn County RCD, NRCS and UCCE has partnered together to help promote and encourage healthy soils. It it is our goal to help provide opportunity to farmers while sharing information and learning more from each other.
As part of this partnership, Glenn County RCD created a farmer-led Steering/Technical Advisory Committee made up of farmers and local experts on the topic to ensure a locally led process.
Goals and Activities:
- Series of Field Days – A Growers Perspective
- Cover Crop Efficacy in Orchard Settings
- Strip Till – No Till: CLICK HERE for YouTube Video
- Rangeland Health
- Compost – Mulch – Cover Crops in Orchards
- Breakfast + A Soil Health And Composting Workshop with Local Industry
- Cover Crops – Early Planting vs. Late Planting – Brassica Blends vs. Plowdowns vs. Cereals – Application of Cover Crops in Walnut Production >> Click here for flier!
- Cover Crops in Orchards – Nematode Managment – Rainfall Simulation – Erosion Control – Use of Unruh Roller
- More coming soon!
- Technical Assistance
- And, ultimately, Healthy Soils!
>> Walnut Orchards and Cover Crops: Daniel Unruh and Kabir Zahangir Tell the Story of the Understory
>> Cover Crop Field Day: Soil Health Tour Attracts almost 100 Farmers to Country Pumpkins and Lohse Farms in Glenn County, CA
>> Growers Lead the Way: Soil Health in Glenn County, California (11/12/18 – NACD)
>> Brassica, Almonds and Prunes
>> News & Report – April 2016
>> Glenn County Soil Health Partnership Presentation for Farm Bureau
View Glenn County RCD’s Soil Health Videos on YouTube!
For more information contact us!